I first became fascinated with coincidences when I learned that both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the same July 4, 50 years after the ratification of the Declaration of Independence. Later I learned about the historical coincidences between Abraham Lincoln and John Kennedy. These include:
‧ Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
‧ Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.
‧ Lincoln was elected president in 1860.
‧ Kennedy was elected president in 1960.
‧ Both were concerned with civil rights.
‧ Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.
‧ Both presidents were shot on a Friday.
‧ Both presidents were shot in the head.
‧ Lincoln’s secretary was named Kennedy.
‧ Kennedy’s secretary was named Lincoln.
‧ Both were assassinated by southerners.
‧ Both were succeeded by southerners named Johnson.
‧ Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
‧ Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.
‧ John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
‧ Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.
‧ Both assassins were known by three names.
‧ Both names are composed of fifteen letters.
‧ Lincoln was shot in a theater named Ford.
‧ Kennedy was shot in car called “Lincoln” made by Ford.
‧ Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.
‧ Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.
‧ Both Booth and Oswald were killed before their trials.
‧ A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland.
‧ A week before Kennedy, he was with Marilyn Monroe.
We pride ourselves on being independent and original thinkers, and yet our reactions to coincidences are mixed. Some of us believe that coincidences are merely entertaining events with no meaning; on the other hand there are those who believe that coincidence is never an accident. Consider the following coincidences involving the number 11 after the Twin Towers disaster.
- Sept. 11 is written 9-11, the telephone code for emergencies.
- The sum of the digits in 9-11 (9+1+1) is 11.
- Sept. 11 is the 254th day of the year, the sum of (2+5+4) is 11.
- After Sept. 11, there remain 111 days in the year.
- The Twin Towers of the WTC looked like the number 11.
- New York was the 11th State added to the Union.
- “New York City” has 11 letters.
- The flight number of the first plane to hit the WTC towers was Flight 11.
- Flight 11 had 92 people on board – 9 + 2 = 11.
- The Muslim lunar calendar advances 11 days every year in relation to our solar calendar.
- Timothy McVeigh was executed on June 11, 2001.
- Remembrance day is November 11. November is also the 11th month.
- Other significant names that have 11 letters: Afghanistan, The Pentagon, Air Force One, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Saudi Arabia, Colin Powell, Mohamed Atta, and Skyscrapers.
Until we have a coherent theory of consciousness, a convincing account of the workings of acausality and the nature of time, and a theory of quantum gravity, there are many unanswered questions. Coincidences, if nothing else, suggest that there may be a principle or force at work in the universe that is currently unacknowledged..
Michael Michalko .http://creativethinking.net/WP01_Home.htm